This blog is a guideline to apply for SFC license:
2. If you need an SFC license, you will need a My CFIA account. If you are creating a My CFIA account, the user guidelines are beneficial to navigate through the account creation.
3. Before your license application, you will need the following information
- Company information
- Contact information
- Licensing scope and food category selection
- Preventative Control Plan
- Customer Protection Plan
- Traceability (if required)
Let’s dive into some of the information above, as we have heard questions on how to determine the licensing scope and how many licenses you will need to apply?
Quick fact for SFC license-The benefit of applying for a single SFC license is that it save application time and cost. The disadvantages are if CFIA suspends or cancels the license, every single activity associated with the SFC license is also suspended.
To avoid the above, we usually recommend our client to apply for multiple SFC license, if the activities are different. Example, a local manufacturer that manufacture products for Canada and the US market will apply for two SFC license: one for manufacturing and distribution for the Canadian market and another: exporter SFC license.
Food Categories Determination:
With the number of food categories available for selection, it is hard to determine if you are applying for the right food category. We find these guidelines beneficial for identifying your products into the right food category as it defines what is in each category. Examples are also shown for each food category to give you an idea, what the category and sub-category cover for.
Documentation Requirement: Preventative Control Plan, Customer Protection Plan and Traceability
There are a few key activities that determine the type of documentation that you will need for the SFC license. We like to categorize them as manufacturing, export and import. Based on these critical activities, we help our clients develop the right set of preventative control plans that best suited for their business needs. You will find our blog on the development of the preventative control plan and customer protection plan helpful to get you started on the program.
4. When you gather all these documents, you are ready to attest that you have all the documentation, submit the application and pay for the license fees. It takes about one to two weeks for license issuance. While not all preventative control documents will be reviewed, it is important that you have the document available for CFIA to review when requested.
If you are looking for assistance to prepare for your SFC license application, we’d love to help. Simply book a meeting at https://calendly.com/felicialoo. Free quotation available for both consultation and developed programs and forms template to get you started. Let us help you with your SFC license application and meet the SFCR application deadline.